Gaming in the Spirit of Halloween: The 19 Best Halloween Themed Video Games
When the air turns crisp, leaves crunch beneath our feet, and pumpkins adorn front porches, it can mean only one thing… Halloween is here!
The spooky season brings with it a myriad of traditions, from costume parties and haunted houses to trick or treating and horror movie marathons.
But for avid gamers, there’s another way to immerse themselves in the spirit of Halloween: by playing Halloween themed video games.
These games offer a unique blend of chills and thrills, taking players on eerie adventures through haunted mansions, dark forests, and supernatural worlds. They capture the essence of the holiday with their spooky atmospheres, creepy creatures, and Halloween theme gameplay.
Whether you’re a fan of jump scares, humor, or simply enjoy the festive ambiance of Halloween, there’s a Halloween-themed video game waiting for you.
In this article, we’ll delve into the best Halloween themed video games that allow you to celebrate the holiday as a gamer.
Get ready for a virtual journey through the best Halloween has to offer in the world of gaming.
Table of Contents
Here are the Best Halloween Themed Video Games to play during the holiday.
1. Haunt the House: Terrortown
- Year Released: 2010
- Summary: In “Haunt the House: Terrortown,” you play as a mischievous ghost trying to scare people out of a house by possessing objects and creating chaos. Your goal is to clear the house of its living occupants through strategic and spooky actions.
- Platforms: Available on iOS, Android, PC, Playstation Vita
- Why Play During Halloween: It’s a lighthearted and charming game that captures the essence of Halloween, allowing you to embrace your inner ghost and haunt to your heart’s content.
- Pros: Fun and casual gameplay, unique concept, and a delightful Halloween atmosphere.
- Cons: May be too short for some players, limited ability for replay.
2. The Simpsons: Night of the Living Treehouse of Horror
- Year Released: 2001
- Summary: This is a bonus episode from “The Simpsons: Hit & Run” game, featuring the Treehouse of Horror Halloween special. Players can explore Springfield as different characters from the show and complete Halloween-themed missions.
- Platforms: Gameboy, PlayStation, XBox, PC
- Why Play During Halloween: It captures the humor and Halloween spirit of “The Simpsons” series while providing entertaining missions and references to classic Halloween episodes.
- Pros: Fun and humorous gameplay, nostalgic for “Simpsons” fans.
- Cons: Part of a larger game, so you’ll need to own “The Simpsons: Hit & Run” to play it.
3. The Nightmare Before Christmas: Oogie’s Revenge
- Year Released: 2005
- Summary: Based on the beloved Tim Burton film, this action-adventure game lets you control Jack Skellington as he returns to Halloween Town to stop Oogie Boogie’s evil plans. It combines combat, platforming, and musical elements.
- Platforms: Available on PlayStation 2 and Xbox.
- Why Play During Halloween: It’s a direct extension of the iconic Halloween and Christmas hybrid world from the movie, offering a unique blend of spookiness and holiday cheer.
- Pros: Faithful to the source material, musical segments, engaging gameplay.
- Cons: Limited availability on older platforms.
4. Monster House
- Year Released: 2006
- Summary: “Monster House” is an action-adventure game based on the animated film of the same name. Players explore a haunted house filled with monsters and solve puzzles to uncover its secrets.
- Platforms: Available on PlayStation 2, GameCube, and Game Boy Advance.
- Why Play During Halloween: The game captures the spooky and adventurous atmosphere of Halloween and is suitable for younger audiences.
- Pros: Family-friendly, enjoyable for kids, faithful to the movie.
- Cons: Somewhat repetitive gameplay, limited platform availability.
5. Jack Bros.
- Year Released: 1995
- Summary: “Jack Bros.” is an action game featuring characters from the Shin Megami Tensei series. You control one of three “Jacks” on a mission to retrieve a stolen treasure in a Halloween-themed world.
- Platforms: Originally released on the Virtual Boy but later re-released on the Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console (Japan only).
- Why Play During Halloween: The game’s Halloween aesthetics and unique 3D gameplay make it a cult classic for retro gaming enthusiasts.
- Pros: Unique gameplay for its time, Halloween-inspired levels.
- Cons: Limited availability, Japan-only Virtual Console release.
6. Ghostbusters: The Video Game
- Year Released: 2009 (Remastered in 2019)
- Summary: “Ghostbusters: The Video Game” serves as a sequel to the original Ghostbusters films. You join the Ghostbusters team and use various gadgets to capture ghosts and save New York City.
- Platforms: XBox, PlayStation, Wii, PC (remastered version).
- Why Play During Halloween: It’s a great opportunity to immerse yourself in the Ghostbusters universe and relive iconic moments while busting ghosts during the spooky season.
- Pros: Authentic Ghostbusters experience, strong voice acting, remastered version offers improved visuals.
- Cons: Some dated mechanics, especially in the original release.
7. Costume Quest
- Year Released: 2010
- Summary: In “Costume Quest,” you play as a group of children who must rescue their sibling from monsters. You transform into various costumes, each with unique abilities, and explore neighborhoods collecting candy and battling foes.
- Platforms: XBox, PlayStation, PC, Mobile
- Why Play During Halloween: The game’s Halloween-themed adventure captures the essence of trick-or-treating and dressing up, making it an ideal choice for the holiday.
- Pros: Charming art style, fun costume transformations, nostalgic for Halloween traditions.
- Cons: Gameplay can be somewhat repetitive.
8. Costume Quest 2
- Year Released: 2014
- Summary: The sequel to “Costume Quest” continues the adventures of the same group of children as they travel through time to stop a time-traveling dentist from erasing Halloween forever.
- Platforms: XBox, PlayStation, Wii, PC, Mobile.
- Why Play During Halloween: Like its predecessor, “Costume Quest 2” maintains the Halloween spirit with delightful costume transformations and holiday-themed quests.
- Pros: Expands on the first game’s concept, humorous storytelling, and Halloween aesthetics.
- Cons: Still has some repetitive elements.
9. Dead by Daylight: Halloween Chapter DLC
- Year Released: 2016
- Summary: “Dead by Daylight” is a multiplayer horror game where one player takes on the role of a killer, while the others are survivors. The Halloween Chapter DLC introduced Michael Myers from the “Halloween” movie franchise as a playable killer and Laurie Strode as a survivor.
- Platforms: Available on PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, and Nintendo Switch.
- Why Play During Halloween: This DLC allows you to step into the shoes of one of horror’s most iconic killers and experience intense horror gameplay, making it a thrilling choice for Halloween.
- Pros: Expands the game with new characters and mechanics, great for horror enthusiasts.
- Cons: Requires the base game “Dead by Daylight.”
10. Monster Hunter: World – the Autumn Harvest Fest event
- Year Released: 2018 (Event)
- Summary: “Monster Hunter: World” is an action RPG where you hunt giant monsters. The Autumn Harvest Fest is a limited-time event in the game, transforming the in-game world into a festive and spooky Halloween celebration with special quests, costumes, and decorations.
- Platforms: Available on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.
- Why Play During Halloween: The Autumn Harvest Fest event allows players to experience the thrill of monster hunting in a Halloween-themed setting, complete with unique challenges and rewards.
- Pros: Expands the game’s content for a limited time, festive atmosphere, and themed gear.
- Cons: Limited-time event may not be accessible year-round.
11. Destiny 2 – the Festival of the Lost event
- Year Released: 2017 (Event)
- Summary: “Destiny 2” is a first-person shooter with MMO elements. The Festival of the Lost is an annual event in the game, adding Halloween-themed activities, masks, and cosmetics.
- Platforms: Available on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, and PC.
- Why Play During Halloween: The Festival of the Lost event offers a fun and festive atmosphere within the Destiny universe, providing players with Halloween-inspired activities and customization options.
- Pros: Seasonal event adds variety to the game, Halloween-themed cosmetics, and activities.
- Cons: Limited-time event with seasonal content.
12. Halloween Forever
- Year Released: 2015
- Summary: “Halloween Forever” is an indie platformer where you play as Pumpkin Man, fighting various monsters in a Halloween-themed world. The game features retro-inspired pixel art and gameplay.
- Platforms: Nintendo Switch, PlayStation, PC.
- Why Play During Halloween: With its Halloween-inspired visuals and gameplay, “Halloween Forever” captures the spirit of the holiday and offers a nostalgic experience for fans of classic platformers.
- Pros: Nostalgic pixel art style, simple and enjoyable platforming, Halloween aesthetics.
- Cons: Limited availability on PC.
- Year Released: 2016
- Summary: “Overwatch” is a team based first person shooter with a diverse cast of heroes. The game hosts special Halloween events with themed skins, game modes like “Junkenstein’s Revenge,” and spooky map variations.
- Platforms: Available on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Nintendo Switch, and PC.
- Why Play During Halloween: Overwatch’s Halloween events provide a festive and entertaining way to enjoy the game, with unique cosmetic items and fun co-op modes.
- Pros: Engaging team based gameplay, seasonal events, and cosmetics, accessible to a wide range of players.
- Cons: Requires an online connection, limited-time events.
14. World of Warcraft – Hallow’s End Event
- Year Released: Hallow’s End event is annual.
- Summary: “World of Warcraft” is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG). The Hallow’s End event takes place each October, transforming the in-game world into a Halloween-themed extravaganza with special quests, costumes, and themed decorations.
- Platforms: Available on PC.
- Why Play During Halloween: “World of Warcraft” immerses you in a fantasy world filled with Halloween festivities, making it a perfect choice to enjoy the holiday in a virtual realm with friends and fellow players.
- Pros: Expansive MMORPG world, annual event with unique content, and festive atmosphere.
- Cons: Requires a subscription to play the base game.
- Year Released: 2017
- Summary: “Fortnite” is a popular battle royale game with building mechanics. It frequently hosts Halloween-themed events, introducing special game modes, skins, and decorations to its vibrant and creative world.
- Platforms: XBox, Playstation, Nintendo Switch, PC, and mobile devices.
- Why Play During Halloween: Fortnite’s Halloween events turn the game into a visually stunning and spooky experience, offering unique gameplay elements and themed cosmetic items.
- Pros: Frequent updates and events, engaging battle royale gameplay, and a strong player community.
- Cons: In-game purchases may be required for certain cosmetics.
16. The Secret World
- Year Released: 2012
- Summary: “The Secret World” is an MMO that blends elements of the supernatural, conspiracy theories, and horror. The game often runs Halloween events with special missions, rewards, and thematic content.
- Platforms: Available on PC.
- Why Play During Halloween: With its dark and mysterious themes, “The Secret World” is an ideal choice for Halloween, offering players a unique opportunity to explore supernatural mysteries during the season.
- Pros: Intriguing storytelling, supernatural themes, and engaging missions.
- Cons: Some areas of the game may feel dated.
17. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Year Released: 2020
- Summary: “Animal Crossing: New Horizons” is a life simulation game that allows players to create their own virtual paradise. The game includes special Halloween events where you can collect candy, dress up in costumes, and transform your island into a Halloween wonderland.
- Platforms: Exclusive to the Nintendo Switch.
- Why Play During Halloween: While not scary, “Animal Crossing: New Horizons” embraces the festive spirit of Halloween, offering a cozy and family-friendly way to celebrate the holiday in a virtual world.
- Pros: Relaxing and charming gameplay, extensive customization options, and seasonal events.
- Cons: Exclusive to the Nintendo Switch.
18. Haunted: Halloween ‘85
19. Hunt: Showdown – The Harvest Halloween Event
- Year Released: 2018
- Summary: Hunt: Showdown is a multiplayer first person shooter game developed and published by Crytek. It combines elements of survival, horror, and competitive gameplay in a unique setting where players hunt down supernatural creatures while facing off against other teams of players.
- Platforms: Xbox , PlayStation 4, PC
- Why Play During Halloween: Introducing the Legendary Hunter “The Headsman,” available to those who earn 1,000 event points, while Legendary Weapons “The Executioner,” “The Marwood,” and “Closed Casket” can also be won.
- Pros: Unique concept, atmospheric setting, tactical gameplay, progression system, constant updates.
- Cons: High learning curve, matchmaking difficulty, PC performance demands, not for casual gamer
In the realm of gaming, Halloween is not just a date on the calendar. Gaming provides a unique and immersive way to celebrate this beloved holiday.
Whether you prefer battling zombies, solving chilling mysteries, or simply embracing the festive spirit of the season, there’s a Halloween themed video game waiting to transport you to a world of spooky delights.
These games are not just an escape. They are an invitation to immerse yourself in the essence of Halloween, to face your fears, and to revel in the dark and delightful adventures that only the world of gaming can provide.
So, this Halloween season, gather your friends, don your favorite costume, and dive into these spooky worlds.
Whether you’re hunting ghosts, battling monsters, or simply trick-or-treating in a virtual neighborhood, the best Halloween themed video games are here to ensure that your Halloween celebrations are truly unforgettable.
May your Halloween be brimming with Halloween themed gaming delights!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Halloween Themed Video Games
1. What are Halloween themed video games?
Halloween themed video games are games that embrace the spirit of the Halloween holiday. They often feature spooky or eerie settings, supernatural elements, and themes related to Halloween traditions such as costumes, pumpkins, and monsters.
2. Are Halloween themed video games only for horror enthusiasts?
No, Halloween themed video games cater to a broad range of gaming preferences. While some are designed to be frightening and cater to horror enthusiasts, others offer a more lighthearted and festive experience suitable for players of all ages.
3. Are there Halloween themed video games for kids and families?
Yes, there are Halloween themed video games designed specifically for kids and families. Games like “Costume Quest” and “Animal Crossing: New Horizons” provide a family friendly Halloween experience.
4. What are some multiplayer Halloween themed games for playing with friends?
Games like “Hunt: Showdown” and “Dead by Daylight” offer multiplayer experiences with a Halloween twist. Players can team up or compete against friends in these thrilling and spooky adventures.
5. Are Halloween themed video games only enjoyable during the Halloween season?
While Halloween themed video games are especially popular during the Halloween season, many of them offer enjoyable gameplay year round. The spooky and festive themes can be entertaining at any time.
You may also be interested in these Halloween articles: